What is the Integrated Music, Dance & Art Therapy for Children with Special Needs project all about?
Volunteer in Ecuador on this integrated therapy project for children with disabilities and learning difficulties and use your creative skills to help others. This project was set up over 20 years ago to offer support to children who are often unsupported in society. This integrated therapy centre calls on its dedicated, multidisciplinary team to help children with its broad spectrum of services: from early stimulation for those with learning difficulties, to physical rehabilitation, and language therapy. Young adults have also been incorporated into the programme. Students perform within an orchestra and have regular, well attended public dance performances each week.
There are a number of different programmes in place to address the needs of various of children, as the project has responded to the demand in the Quito area. the project now serves around 80 children each day. Activities include music therapy, an academic art programme, therapeutic care, a day care programme and a summer project. Apply your caring nature and creative talents to help the local team run and develop this stimulating programme for a delightful group of talented children.
Why choose this Integrated Music, Dance & Art Therapy for Children with Special Needs project?
The committed founder and local staff have poured passion, skills, and personal resources into to getting this centre where it is today and are able to offer a range of interactive and exciting activities for children with learning difficulties and disabilities. The project benefits by accepting volunteers who are needed to bring new ideas, enthusiasm and creativity to the project and to help local staff to provide these essential services. Volunteers will be able to put their Spanish skills and experience to good use on this project, as well as building the experience section of their CV/ Resume.
Role of the Teaching Arts Volunteer
As there are a number of programmes as the centre volunteers may help with the following:
- academic artistic programme – supporting children aged 12+ s in arts, music, reading, other academic disciplines, computers and sports activities. A full orchestra and performing dance group are a central part of this element.
- therapeutic art programme – supporting children aged 12+ with music, art, dance and craft activities
- day care project – working with children over 12 plus young adults, focussing on life skills, group work, conduct and developing autonomy
- learning therapy – older children and young adults developing educational performance to give students the chance to be involved in possible employment activities
- musical artistic development – for the under 12s, developing their creativity
A summer programme also runs during July.
What skills do I need to be a Teaching Arts Volunteer in Ecuador?
Education or work experience in early childhood education, physical or occupational therapy, dance, music or art skills are a plus, and placements can be specialised in like with those skills. Intermediate Spanish speakers are strongly preferred (minimum level A2 Basic User of CEFR). Volunteers should be open, flexible, patient, passionate, creative and come with a spirit of collaboration and solidarity as well as be willing to have fun! You will be asked to send your CV/ resume before being accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Help provide a range of interactive and benificial activities for children with learning difficulties
To practice your Spanish skills
To use your skills to have a positive impact on vulnerable members of a community
Where will I work in Ecuador?
The bustling capital city of Quito was declared a UNECSO world Heritage centre in 1978, surrounded by the natural beauty of the Andean mountains and it’s active volcanos. For your project you will be based in the north of the city, in a middle-income area with plenty of local shops, cafes and restaurants. Living in a homestay, a few miles from the project centre, you will use public transport to travel to work each day. In the centre, Quito has museums, art and interesting places to visit and easy access to the cloud-forest and Amazon jungle just a couple of hours away for weekend excursions.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2+ weeks
- Cost: Volunteering: £1459 / $2277 for 2 weeks of volunteering
£226 / $352 for each week of volunteering thereafter
Interning: £2052 / $3203 for 4 weeks
£252/ $393 for each week of interning thereafter
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Quito, Ecuador
- Working hours: Monday – Saturday, 8am – 6pm (with preference toward afternoon shift)
- Project availability: Year-round, starting on a Monday with summer camps during June – August
- Arrival day: See 2024 arrival dates tab
What is included
- Accommodation: Home stay with hot, running water, and electricity
- Food: 2 meals per day – Breakfast, and dinner
- Airport pick up on a Friday and drop off
- Training: Pre-departure pack, on-site orientation on Saturday and project induction, Learning Reflection Manual
- Support: 24 hour support
- Excursion planning: Staff will help plan activities and excursions (some activities may cost extra)
What is not included
- Optional 6 hrs per week Spanish classes available; £66 / $106 (alongside your placement)
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Daily transport to project
- Optional intensive Spanish classes 1-week programme £448 / $699 including accommodation
- Optional excursion on the Sunday on your arrival weekend please speak to an advisor if you want to know more
|7th, 14th, 21st
|no available dates
Easy 4-step application process
Apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join our 10 or 7-week environment conservation and community development gap year adventure program, and explore Costa Rica in an exciting and meaningful way!
Join our 10 or 7-week environment conservation and community development gap year program, and explore South Africa in an exciting and meaningful way!
Experience the wildlife show of a lifetime whilst contributing to key research and conservation efforts in the Maasai Mara
Make a fundamental improvement to your own life and the vulnerable living by volunteering and helping to improve nutritional standards in Tacloban City.
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and service-learning in fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and service-learning this fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador
Take part in a Psychology and Social Work Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad