If you are interested in environmental science and conservation efforts then volunteer on this project focused on Agro Forestry and Environmental Conservation in the Mindo Cloud Forest in Ecuador. This family owned reserve seeks to preserve the cloud-forest and restore land used for pasture through reforestation and agroforestry efforts. The goal of the reserve is to achieve sustainability through both agriculture and ecotourism. A mile-long canopy tour of the reserve provides a unique bird’s-eye-view of the cloud forest contained in the reserve. As part of the management plan, the local community is included in educational and community building activities. The foundation’s mission is to contribute to the maintenance and restoration of natural ecosystems, their resources and biodiversity for future generations, through the diffusion of productive activities that are compatible with nature; supporting values of social equity and respect for natural and cultural diversity. Join this project and help with efforts focusing on ecology, biology and agricultural activities and research to conserve this incredible habitat.
Why choose this project?
By joining this project, volunteers will develop their own environmental conservation knowledge and skills, while helping in the socio-environmental development of the local community. Volunteer work on this project contributes to conservation and restoration initiatives in the Choco Bioregion, while also supporting and strengthening sustainable family development program through ecotourism. If you are studying environmental science or conservation what a great way to compliment your theoretical learning with practical hands on experience.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteers can get involved in a range of activities focusing on two areas: environmental/conservation activities and culture/community development activities. Depending on your skill set and the needs of the project at the time of your placement activities may include:
- Restoration of ecosystems: collecting of seeds, plants production in the nursery and reforestation.
- Agro forestry: implementation, management and monitoring of diversified organic coffee plantations.
- Maintenance of trails and gardens.
- Organic agriculture: elaboration of organic fertilizer, harvesting, management of a garden.
- Raising farm animals: horses, cows, chickens and making cheeses.
- Biological survey: identification of orchids and bromeliads, ecological studies of the local avian and technical tests regarding the germination of forest seeds.
- The development of materials and curricula for environmental education projects with schools and businesses
- Working with the tourism program that boasts one of the most impressive zipline canopies in Ecuador, trails, tree-climbing, and canopy bridges
All participants are asked to be flexible. If you are interested in a particular aspect of research please discuss this with a Kaya Placement Advisor.
To join our project whose efforts are focused on Agro Forestry and Environmental Conservation in the Mindo Cloud Forest volunteers with a strong background in natural sciences, including biology, ecology, or environmental science are sought. If you have research experience or your own independence research projects you will be especially welcomed. You will work local experts and should be able to demonstrate cultural sensitivity. A basic level of Spanish would be useful but is not essential for this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Develop your knowledge of environmental conservation
To contribute to the maintenance and restoration of the rainforest
To spend time in stunning and diverse Mindo Cloud forest
Orientation will take place in Quito, Ecuador’s capital city and it is here that you can take extra Spanish lessons before starting your placement. The project itself is located about an hour and a half outside of Quito in the famous Mindo Cloud Forest which is known for its stunning scenery and habitats. On the weekends volunteers are able to go hiking, horseback riding, and even cave tubing for the more adventurous! There are waterfalls, cycling routes and rafting opportunities approximately 20 kilometers away, as well as a fascinating butterfly farm. It really is a fantastic location for those interested in exploring the great outdoors.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 – 26 weeks
- Cost: £1280/$2240 for 2 weeks
£225/$394 for each week thereafter
- Requirements: Age 16+
- Location: Mindo Cloud Forest, Ecuador
- Project activities: Collecting seeds, maintaining trails, research, animal husbandry, biological surveys
- Project availability: Projects run year- round
- Arrival day: Twice monthly on a Friday. Please speak to an advisor.
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in a volunteer rustic accommodation with up to 7 other people
- Hostel stay while in Quito, including Breakfast
- Food: 2 meals per day during your project placement
- Airport pick up and drop off in Quito
- Training: Orientation in Quito, pre- departure pack, on-site orientation and project induction included
- Transfer to the project site after orientation
- Support: 24-hour support
- Local SIM card and phone: (deposit of $50 required for handset)
- Excursions planning: Staff will help plan activities and excursions (activities may cost extra)
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Daily transfer to and from your project
- Meals beyond those indicated above
- Optional excursion on the Sunday on your arrival weekend please speak to an advisor if you want to know more
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Get involved with tourism development in a rural community of Thailand and help build the future of the local community!
Combine study abroad and volunteering this summer in Cusco, Peru.
Take a hands-on role in reforestation and environmental education by volunteering on this mass action project in South Africa this summer.
Veterinary internship in South Africa Wild Coast catering to 2nd and 3rd-year students
Human rights and girls’ empowerment volunteering in Quito
Join us as on this veterinary internship in Ecuador and contribute to improving the welfare of wildlife while developing your CV/Resume
Join our Fair Trade Internship in the Amazon Rainforest at a unique tea project doing sustainable economic development, cultural preservation and conservation.
In partnership with a local indigenous family that lives in the Amazon rainforest, this centre rehabilitates wild animals from the jungle that were victims of abuse and animal trafficking.
Volunteer in Ecuador on an economic and community development initiative to help families preserve their values, culture and environment and create sustainable livelihoods.