What is the Agro Forestry and Environmental Conservation in the Mindo Cloud Forest project all about?
If you are interested in environmental science and conservation efforts then volunteer on this project focused on Agro Forestry and Environmental Conservation in the Mindo Cloud Forest in Ecuador. This family owned reserve seeks to preserve the cloud-forest and restore land used for pasture through reforestation and agro forestry efforts. The goal of the reserve is to achieve sustainability through both agriculture and ecotourism. A mile-long canopy tour of the reserve provides a unique bird’s-eye-view of the cloud forest contained in the reserve. As part of the management plan, the local community is included in educational and community building activities. The foundation’s mission is to contribute to the maintenance and restoration of natural ecosystems, their resources and biodiversity for future generations, through the diffusion of productive activities that are compatible with nature; supporting values of social equity and respect for natural and cultural diversity. Join this project and help with efforts focusing on ecology, biology and agricultural activities and research to conserve this incredible habitat.
Why choose this Agro Forestry & Environmental Conservation project?
By joining this project, volunteers will develop their own environmental conservation knowledge and skills, while helping in the socio-environmental development of the local community. Volunteer work on this project contributes to conservation and restoration initiatives in the Choco Bioregion, while also supporting and strengthening sustainable family development program through ecotourism. If you are studying environmental science or conservation what a great way to compliment your theoretical learning with practical hands on experience.
Role of the Conservation Volunteer
Volunteers can get involved in a range of activities focusing on two areas: environmental/conservation activities and culture/community development activities. Depending on your skill set and the needs of the project at the time of your placement activities may include:
- Restoration of ecosystems: collecting of seeds, plants production in the nursery and reforestation.
- Agro forestry: implementation, management and monitoring of diversified organic coffee plantations.
- Maintenance of trails and gardens.
- Organic agriculture: elaboration of organic fertilizer, harvesting, management of a garden.
- Raising farm animals: horses, cows, chickens and making cheeses.
- Biological survey: identification of orchids and bromeliads, ecological studies of the local avian and technical tests regarding the germination of forest seeds.
- The development of materials and curricula for environmental education projects with schools and businesses
- Working with the tourism program that boasts one of the most impressive zipline canopies in Ecuador, trails, tree-climbing, and canopy bridges
All participants are asked to be flexible. If you are interested in a particular aspect of research please discuss this with a Kaya Placement Advisor.
What skills do I need to be a Conservation Volunteer in Ecuador?
To join our project whose efforts are focused on Agro Forestry and Environmental Conservation in the Mindo Cloud Forest volunteers with a strong background in natural sciences, including biology, ecology, or environmental science are sought. If you have research experience or your own independence research projects you will be especially welcomed. You will work local experts and should be able to demonstrate cultural sensitivity. A basic level of Spanish would be useful but is not essential for this project.
Travel during COVID times
The health and safety of our travelers and our local communities remain central to our plans for reopening countries and projects. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been adapting our programs and protocols to protect all those involved, and ask for everyone’s patience and collaboration as new rules are implemented in-country. For all projects, new standards of sanitation, procedures and social behaviors are in place, including new health and hygiene protocols and social distancing practices. You can read more here. Each location may be slightly different in the way they operate. We encourage you to inquire to your placement advisor to learn more about your specific project as you plan for your responsible return to travel!
While the COVID pandemic is still affecting travel, for this location, you will need to do a quarantine for the first 10 days. So choose your project length accordingly for pricing by adding in an extra week to your travel plans.
RECRUITING FOR EARLY 2021
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Develop your knowledge of environmental conservation
To contribute to the maintenance and restoration of the rainforest
To spend time in stunning and diverse Mindo Cloud forest
Where will I work in Ecuador?
Orientation will take place in Quito, Ecuador’s capital city and it is here that you can take extra Spanish lessons before starting your placement. The project itself is located about an hour and a half outside of Quito in the famous Mindo Cloud Forest which is known for its stunning scenery and habitats. On the weekends volunteers are able to go hiking, horseback riding, and even cave tubing for the more adventurous! There are waterfalls, cycling routes and rafting opportunities approximately 20 kilometers away, as well as a fascinating butterfly farm. It really is a fantastic location for those interested in exploring the great outdoors.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2+ weeks
- Cost: Volunteering: £1423 / $2221 for 2 weeks of volunteering
£246 / $384 for each week of volunteering thereafter
Interning: £1971 / $3077 for 4 weeks
£251/ $392 for each week of interning thereafter
- Requirements: Age 16+
- Location: Mindo Cloud Forest, Ecuador
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 5-6 hours a day
- Project availability: All year round
- Arrival day: Every other Friday
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in a volunteer rustic accommodation with up to 7 other people
- Hostel stay while in Quito, including Breakfast
- Food: 2 meals per day during your project placement
- Airport pick up and drop off in Quito
- Training: Orientation in Quito, pre- departure pack, on-site orientation and project induction included
- Transfer to the project site after orientation
- Support: 24-hour support
- Local SIM card and phone: (deposit of $50 required for handset)
- Excursions planning: Staff will help plan activities and excursions (activities may cost extra)
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Daily transfer to and from your project
- Meals beyond those indicated above
- Optional excursion on the Sunday on your arrival weekend please speak to an advisor if you want to know more
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join this amazing Marine Science Internship in Belize and get some real insight into marine conservation in the Caribbeans!
Join the sustainability internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally, economically or culturally depending on your field!
Take part in this 4-week American History Restoration Gap Program - Colorado Circuit and experience the Great American Outdoors!
Participate in our 6-week Gap Year program 2021: Thailand Culture and Service and live your best cultural experience in Thailand!
Take part in a Psychology and Social Work Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Take part in a NGO Management Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Take part in a Social Justice Internship in Ecuador and help combat causes you care about
Do a Gap Year or Solo Volunteer Conservation Project in Ecuador at a rescue center focused on rehabilitating wild animals from the jungle that were victims of abuse and animal trafficking.
Human rights and girls’ empowerment volunteering in Quito