What is the Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam all about?
Join a medical and healthcare internship placement in either Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi depending on your field of activity and how customized you need your internship to be. You may choose to focus on a variety of specialists areas, including critical care, acupuncture optometry and nursing:
- Critical Care – You will be exposed to the essentials of critical care including computer based training, labs skills, EKG training, trauma case studies and other clinical work.
- Acupuncture – This is a great internship to experience Vietnamese traditional medicine and master some basic knowledge and methods. Not only you will learn about how to carry out primary treatment, but you will also be exposed to unconventional ways to treat patients like using acupuncture as an analgesic.
- Nursing – You will be able to improve your skills on assessing a patient’s health problem and needs by formulating a nursing diagnosis as well as develop and implement the patient’s nursing plan. Depending on your interest, you may have the chance to look at different types of patients including paediatrics, orthopaedics or emergency medicine amongst others.
- Optometry – Assist staff within the optometry department of the hospital
Why choose this Medical and Healthcare Internship programme in Vietnam?
This is a great way to support the local community in Vietnam as well as be exposed to various kinds of practices and diseases you might not see back home. This internship will allow you to strengthen your clinical skills, healthcare judgments and manage your time juggling with many patients specific to your field of study. Depending on your specialization, you may also be able to take part in the research aspect. This internship will lay a good foundation to further your study upon your return back home.
Role of the Healthcare Intern
Your internship will be shaped by your desires prior to your arrival, and then will meet patients’ priorities at the time of your placement. You will work alongside locally trained staff and will be supervised by a professional within your field of study at the time of your internship. You will develop professional on-the-job training in a foreign environment as well as build your business network. Note that all interns are asked to produce a report or a presentation at the end of their placement to reflect on your learnings and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you.
What skills do I need to be a Medical and Healthcare Intern in Vietnam?
This placement requires you to be enrolled in university, graduated or have relevant work experience in the field of interest. You must be fluent in English to be able to communicate with the patients and local staff. You must also demonstrate computer skills as well as soft skills and interpersonal skills. Teamwork, time management, ability to present and communicate effectively are essential to be successful throughout this internship. You will be required to provide a CV/resume to identify your skills, experience and interests as part of the internship recruitment placement.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
You want to develop your professional on-the-job training abroad
To build your medical professional network
Gain a “cutting edge” experience for a global career in the future
Where will I work in Vietnam?
About the Location
Depending on your specialization, you will either be living in bustling Ho Chi Minh City or traditional Hanoi. Both cities offer different lifestyles, but will also give you both the opportunities to explore the Vietnamese culture and traditions. You will be able to explore its heritage via museums, temples, shopping malls and food stands.
You will have the choice to stay with a local family or in a shared studio apartment with other interns or have an individual room in an apartment.. The accommodations are simple but will provide you with everything you need. In the apartment setting, you will need to cook your own food, while you will be fed with the family at least one meal a day.
What to do in your spare time
If you are staying in Ho Chi Minh, at weekends, head outside the city to explore the underground world of the infamous Chu Chi Tunnels. If you want to get away from the bustle of the city, we recommend you head to the beach – perhaps Nha Trang or Danang or go on a pagoda trip on the Upper Mekong River to explore the country landscape of Vietnam. Lastly, allow time at the end of your trip to take a train to the north and see more of this stunning country such as Hanoi and Halong Bay.
If you are staying in Hanoi, explore the city by going to the Old Quarter, the Temple of Literature & National University, the Ngoc Son Temple, Chua Tran Quoc, the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology, Thanh Chuong Viet Palace or enjoy a walk by Hoan Kiem Lake to see the Thap Rua Tower, or go hike Ba Vi National Park. You may also plan a day out to Halong Bay or Hoa Lu and Tam Coc. You may also want to go explore the growing city of Ho Chi Minh.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4 weeks
Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most out of the experience
- Cost: £2404 / $3847 for 4 weeks
£194 / $310 for each extra week
A minimum deposit of £645 / $1032 is required to secure your place. However, it may vary depending on your location and placement. Speak to your advisor for more information.
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, Vietnam
- Project activities: depends on speciality
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project Availability: all year round, apart from mid-January to mid-February due to Lunar New Year Celebrations
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: single room in a shared apartment with 3 other students/young professional or individual studio apartment.
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport or Hanoi Noi Bai International Airport
- Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation, including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
- 24-hour support
- A local buddy
- Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
- Project certificate on completion of the final presentation
- City tour, cultural excursion(for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta), welcome and departure meal
- City tour:
- cultural excursion (for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta)
- departure meal
- Visa processing fee and guidance
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Electricity bills
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Add to your practical experience by participating in a nursing internship in Jamaica and assist in a country with limited resources.
Join our Medical Internship in Jamaica and get experience by working with actual healthcare professionals in a global setting!
Join our social work and youth internship in South Africa and get involved in a local community while developing your professional skills in a different environment.
Join our hospital and healthcare internship in South Africa and get involved in a local community while developing your professional skills and learning about healthcare in an African context.
Gain meaningful work experience in an area relevant to your potential career choice and participate in the Travel and Tourism Internship in Asia.
Join this NGO Business Internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with local community projects.
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam at a recovery centre
Develop your knowledge of the theory and practical elements in tackling global warming on this Climate Change Internship in Vietnam