Develop your CV/Resume and help raise awareness about greening and reforestation projects by taking a PR and Social Media Internship at an NGO in South Africa. The social enterprise is dedicated to urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education in Sub-Saharan Africa through planting trees, fighting deforestation, spreading environmental awareness, and inspiring a green movement. This award winning NGO runs initiatives that are centred around community participation, and has been responsible for planting over 18000 trees since 2010.
The project has a strong online presence through various social media channels, emails and newsletters which it uses to communicate with donors, stakeholders and beneficiaries. This is vital to the growth of the projects and participates in environmental awareness in the communities. The aim is to create a large awareness platform and encourage as many people as possible to get activity involved in the ‘Treevolution.’ The internship offers those with experience in and awareness of social media platforms the opportunity to participate in growing the online presence of a grassroots environmental NGO in South Africa.
Why choose this project?
If you are a whizz at social media this internship could be the perfect placement for you! Your skills could help a grassroots conservation NGO in Cape town to promote their work and even raise funds. If you are studying PR and social media then this internship will give you practical experience making your CV/resume stand out from others when applying for jobs / university.
During your internship you will work alongside specialists. You will learn about or be involved in some of the following:
- Gain valuable work experience in online marketing, from working on the social media strategy, improving the content of social media sites and keeping them updated
- PR and copywriting activities such as press releases, newsletters, blogs etc.
- Research and approach media channels to promote the NGO and its values
- Improve your writing skills by writing blogs and social media posts
- Participate in some of the urban greening and reforestation projects
- Developing educational materials about greening and reforestation
All the activities are variable and dependant on project needs and the technical level of interns but offer a great opportunity for you to develop your skills and experience in the PR and social media field. You will be supported by the internship coordinator and a project member during your internship. You will attend weekly review sessions and you will be able to pose any questions and review your progress.
To read more about the nursery days that run each month read our blog.
Interns should have some experience in marketing, and a knowledge of social media platforms to ensure that you get the most out of this placement. An interest in environmental issues would also be useful as the NGO focuses on this and will be the basis of much of the articles and platforms on which you will be working. You must be well organised and able to meet deadlines.
Interns are asked to bring a laptop with them, if this is possible.
A full CV/resume will be requested upon application to assess your suitability for the programme. Documentation will be required to support your application including a letter of motivation. You will be asked of a telephone interview as there is a selection process for this exciting placement.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Because you want your CV/resume stand out from the crowd
To support an NGO with efforts to generate more interest in their work
To gain valuable work experience to suport your studies
Staying in Cape Town means that you will have access to all that this interesting and diverse city has to offer. Activities range from wine tasting, skydiving, safaris and shark cage diving to lazing on the beaches, walking around museums and the historic town to relaxing in trendy neighbourhoods. A must is a visit to the world famous Table Mountain, which offers an incredible view of the city and its surroundings.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8 -12 weeks
- Cost: £1716 / $3003 for 8 weeks
£118 / $206 per each extra week
- Requirements: age 19+
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Project activities: writing blogs, updating social media sites, PR and copywriting, market research participating in environmental activities preparing educational materials
- Working hours: varied depending on the project needs but you will be asked to assist with weekend fundraising or promotional activities
- Project availability: All year round, except 2 weeks at Christmas
- Arrival day: Every 1st or 3rd Monday of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: Dorm accommodation in a volunteer house, fully equipped kitchen and 2 bathrooms
- Scheduled airport pick up and drop off from Cape Town International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator
- Free water bottle
- Assistance with planning your weekend excursions from local staff
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Food and drinks (but plenty of options available locally)
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Learn about the impacts of Human Rights, Social Justice & NGO Management abroad
Gain some real experience in Journalism abroad!
Get involved with tourism development in a rural community of Thailand and help build the future of the local community!
Develop your reporting and writing skills and gain an insight into journalism in Thailand while learning and living the Thai lifestyle in rural Thailand
Take a hands-on role in reforestation and environmental education by volunteering on this mass action project in South Africa this summer.
Veterinary internship in South Africa Wild Coast catering to 2nd and 3rd-year students
Volunteer and have an amazing time working on this game reserve in Port Elizabeth. Work with South Africa's big 5: lion, African elephant, cape buffalo, rhino and leopard.
Join our veterinarian volunteering at one of South Africa’s premier game reserves developing your knowledge of diagnosing, treating and preserving wildlife in their natural habitats.
Share this small business development internship in South Africa to extend your CV/Resume while developing the capacity of a social enterprise.