Participate in women empowerment and community volunteering in India to start understanding the challenges facing women and help bring about change. In rural and disadvantaged communities of India, the mistreatment of women is higher. There is a negative standpoint on having female children, as male heirs are considered to be important for the afterlife in Hindu culture. This is an issue that is not easy to change, but through women’s empowerment initiatives, women can expand their horizons within and beyond their communities to give them access to better futures. The project focuses on educational and confidence-building activities such as group discussions, English and maths teaching.
By becoming a women’s empowerment volunteer in this male-dominated country, you can make a difference to the future of many women and girls, as well as gain insight into issues facing women globally.
Why choose this project?
The mistreatment of women in India remains a huge problem and your help is needed to expand local women’s worldview through education and support. Increasing women’s confidence and empowering them about their rights is a start towards equality within Indian society for this generation and the ones to come. You will benefit by recognizing the freedom available to you in your own home country, as well as having an amazing experience to add to your CV/Resume.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteers are needed to help give women in local communities a sense of self-worth and empowerment. Activities include:
- teaching basic English (especially conversational skills), maths and budgeting lessons
- running educational activities, creative workshops and vocational training promoting self-reliance
- organizing recreational activities and computer skills sessions
- teaching the women and girls about their fundamental rights as women
Volunteer duties will depend on your specific project placement, but most placements will focus on underprivileged women who are in need of extra support. Most of the women and girls perform their chores in the morning, then they are able to participate in project activities in the afternoons. Thus, you will combine your afternoon women’s empowerment placement with another project in the morning, depending on your skills and preferences. You will be expected to attend weekly volunteer meetings and to update project documents.
As a women’s empowerment volunteer, your activities will vary depending on your skills and the needs of the project that you are based with. Duties will be fully assigned to you when you arrive on the project. If you have a particular area of interest, make this known on your application form and we will try to place you within this area, if possible. You will be asked to send your CV/resume before being accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To help the overstretched local team empower women to give them access to brighter futures
To contribute to the education of women in impoverished communities
Because you want to immerse yourself in the colours, sounds and smells of India
You have the choice of volunteering in two different locations. One option is Goa, which well known for its beautiful beaches and luscious palm trees. Goa has a distinct culture with its own music and delicious cuisine. The second option is the beautiful, bustling Pink City- Jaipur. Jaipur contains forts as well as street markets packed with crafts and fabrics. Nearby is Rajasthan, which is a blend of desert and paddy fields causing a vivid sea of colors.
Whichever location you chose, you will be amazed by the sights and sounds that greet you every day in India!
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 – 12 weeks
- Cost: £840/$1469 for 2 weeks
Prices for additional weeks vary (£40/$70 per week for Goa placements after week 4)
- Requirements: age 16+ (parental consent form for 16 & 17 yr. olds)
- Location: Jaipur or Goa, India
- Project activities: teaching English and basic maths, vocational training sessions, promoting women’s rights
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, community work in the morning, women’s empowerment in the afternoon
- Project Availability: 2 weekly start dates. For more details contact a Kaya Placement Advisor
- Arrival day: Monday
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room with en-suite in volunteer accommodation, dining room, lounge
- Food: 3 meals a day, packed lunch at lunchtimes
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Goa or Jaipur Airport, depending on your placement
- Training: pre-departure info pack, orientation, health and safety briefing
- Support: 24-hour support
- Transfers to the project
- Internet at your accommodation
- 2 yoga sessions
- 1 local cooking demonstration
- 1 henna painting session with sari dressing workshop
- 1 evening visit and dinner with a local host family
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Weekend excursions can be arranged for an extra cost:
Jaipur = Taj Mahal & Pushkar Camel Safari – £272 / $476
Goa = North Goa and South Goa – £200 / $350
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Experience health promotion and community development through this internship by assisting local staff with the daily challenges facing residents
Be part of a team working to spread knowledge and education.
Learn about the impacts of Human Rights, Social Justice & NGO Management abroad
If you want to help a rural impoverished community while learning about the culture and the people of Cambodia, all that while making friends, this is a placement for you!
Join our volunteering for 16 and 17 year olds in India and spend time with other young people developing global citizenship.
Volunteer in India and help with the provision of child care to disadvantaged children as well as participating in a range of exciting activities essential to Indian culture.
By volunteering in India on a Community Teaching project, you have the chance to give back to a number of communities where support is needed to enhance the quality of teaching.
Our Experience India Tour encompasses charm, culture and care over 10 or 14 nights where you will be able to see the sights, learn about the real India and get a taste of volunteering.
The purpose of this project is to allow education centres to increase their resources via the help of volunteers.