Join our volunteering for 16 and 17-year-olds in India to spend time with other young people and develop global citizenship. You will work within local Indian communities, allowing you to genuinely learn about Indian culture. Help with activities that contribute towards the overall goals of your selected project, choosing from teaching, women’s empowerment or childcare. Get involved in included extra activities, such as meals with a local family, henna painting and sari dressing workshop as well as yoga sessions.
The projects are located in disadvantaged communities and slums located in and around Goa or Jaipur. You will be welcomed into these communities and will certainly experience a different side of life while assisting with efforts to improve the learning environment or access to education. Come to India to get immersed in this fascinating culture and use your caring personality to improve the quality of life of poor communities.
Why choose this project?
You’ll get the chance to share your enthusiasm and energy with underprivileged communities. You’ll be surprised by the friendly welcome you’ll receive as you support these local projects. You will learn about Indian culture by seeing how different life is in the communities in which you volunteer. As a 16 or 17-year-old, you will be looking for ways to improve independence and build your CV/resume. This cultural immersion will certainly help to make you stand out from the crowd.
Role of the volunteer
You will select the project and location of your choice before your arrival in India. Your options include:
- Childcare – playing games, reading stories, helping at mealtimes/bathtime, providing more directed attention in small groups, alleviating the workloads of the local care workers
- Teaching assistance – working in classes, helping with planning and running activities where needed
- Women’s empowerment and community work -helping with numeracy, literacy, computer lessons and healthcare sessions with the local team
Your placement will include an exciting orientation programme to help you to become culturally immersed in today’s India.
If you want to join this program as a 16 or 17-year-old, you need to be ready to travel and meet new friends. You should be open to new ideas and situations, as you will eat authentic food, work in communities far removed from anything you have seen before and mix with different cultures. You should be self-motivated and able to work on a team. Before being accepted, you will need to do a telephone interview and submit a reference. Kaya will also need to speak to your parents/guardians.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To become a global citizen by learning about other cultures
To make international friends
To give back, travel and build your CV at the same time!
You can choose to volunteer in either Goa, with its lovely beaches, the beautiful bustling Pink City of Jaipur. Goa has a distinct cultural vibe with its own music and delicious cuisine. Whereas, Jaipur, located in the desert, has an amazing ancient fort and old city.
From whichever location, you can add-on excursions, enabling you to explore more that India has to offer. Plan a visit to the Taj Mahal, the Dalai Lama home at McLeod Ganj, or attend a cliffside silent disco! Speak to a Kaya advisor about the different locations to learn which one is right for you and to learn about the exciting tours that you can add on!
Project Costs & Facts
- Duration: 2 – 4 weeks
- Cost: £840/$1469 for 2 weeks Prices for additional weeks vary (£40/$70 per week for Goa placements after week 4)
- Requirements: age 16+ (parental consent form for 16 & 17 years old)
- Location: Jaipur or Goa, India
- Project activities: depends on the project, but may include painting murals, playing educational games, arts & crafts, teaching assistance
- Working hours: Monday – Friday mornings, 5 hours per day, 2 sessions
- Project Availability: 2 weekly start dates. For more details, contact a Kaya Placement Advisor.
- Arrival day: Monday
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room with en-suite in volunteer accommodation, dining room, lounge, resource preparation area
- Food: 3 meals a day, packed lunch at lunchtimes
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Goa or Jaipur Airport depending on your placement location
- Training: pre-departure info pack, orientation with health and safety briefing
- Support: 24-hour support
- Transfers to the project
- Internet at your accommodation
- 2 yoga sessions
- 1 local cooking demonstration
- 1 henna painting session with sari dressing workshop
- 1 evening visit and dinner with a local host family
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Weekend excursions can be arranged for an extra cost: Goa = North Goa and South Goa Jaipur = Taj Mahal & Pushkar camel safari (£259/$454 for Jaipur excursions and £190/$333 for Goa excursions)
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Volunteer in India and help with the provision of child care to disadvantaged children as well as participating in a range of exciting activities essential to Indian culture.
By volunteering in India on a Community Teaching project, you have the chance to give back to a number of communities where support is needed to enhance the quality of teaching.
Our Experience India Tour encompasses charm, culture and care over 2 or 4 wonderful weeks where you will be able to see the sights, learn about the real India and get a taste of volunteering.
The purpose of this project is to allow education centres to increase their resources via the help of volunteers.