By volunteering in India on a Community Teaching project, you have the chance to give back to a number of communities where support is needed to enhance the quality of education. Volunteer assistance is needed within schools: helping to teach English and maths, providing essential support for early development and, depending on your project location, working within the local snake-charming community helping to develop interpersonal and language skills. The project aims to make learning enjoyable while enabling the students to have an increased exposure to English, which is considered to be highly beneficial for the communities’ future job prospects and access to equal opportunities. Teaching placements are in a variety of locations from beach front rooms and slums to supporting teachers in poorer government-run schools or adult programmes.
The cultural immersion gives you an introduction to the ethos of what it means to be an Indian youth today in this incredibly diverse and colourful country. By joining Kaya and becoming a volunteer in this stunning and diverse country you can make a difference to the quality of children’s education as well as gaining a much better understanding of many aspects of Indian culture.
Why choose this project?
- Support and ease the burden of bursting class sizes on local staff while providing invaluable tutoring and support from a fluent English speaker.
- Help share the workload with local staff and bring professionalism, dedication and community awareness to these important projects.
- Drive local positivity, social development and education progress within vulnerable communities while adding a unique experience to your CV / Resume.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteers are needed to provide their time, energy and support to a number of schools and education projects. Volunteers will be given detailed workbooks and guidelines to help them with their teaching. Activities may include:
- Teaching English and Maths and social skills
- Running games and sports activities
- Tracking attendance, especially of girls
- Creating play and learning materials.
You will be given workbooks and guidelines for teaching before starting your classroom activities. You will prepare for lessons each day and at the end, you will be responsible for updating records about the progress of the project and the students. You will also be asked to attend a weekly volunteer meeting. Where possible you will work full time on your project placement but in some instances, you may volunteer on one project in the mornings and another in the afternoon. Longer terms volunteers may be asked to help with extra tasks to support the project team.
As a teaching volunteer, you must enjoy spending time with children and value the importance of education. The activities will depend on the needs of the school and also your experience. No experience is required. You will be asked to send your CV/resume before being accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To support local teaching staff and provide invaluable tutoring
So you can experience different aspects of Indian culture
To do meaningful and rewarding work
You have the option to volunteer in either Goa with its amazing beaches or the beautiful bustling Pink City of Jaipur. Rural Rajasthan, the area beyond Jaipur is a blend of dynamic people, paddy fields to desert areas and is a sea of vivid colours. Goa, well known for its beautiful beaches and luscious palm trees, has a distinct cultural vibe with its own music, delicious cuisine and climate whilst Jaipur is known as the Pink City because of the beautiful colour of the stone contains forts, sites and streets packed with crafts, fabrics and other items to buy. Whichever location you chose, you will be amazed by the stimulation to your senses.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 – 12 weeks
- Cost: £840/$1469 for 2 weeks
Prices for additional weeks vary (£40/$70 per week for Goa placements after week 4)
- Requirements: age 16+ (parental consent form for 16 & 17 years old)
- Location: Jaipur or Goa, India
- Project activities: teaching English maths and social skills, running games and sports activities, providing teacher training.
- Working hours: Monday – Friday approximately 5 hours per day
- Project Availability: 2 weekly start dates. For more details contact a Kaya Placement Advisor.
- Arrival day: Monday
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room with en-suite in volunteer accommodation, dining room, lounge
- Food: 3 meals a day, packed lunch at lunchtimes
- Airport pickup and drop off Goa or Jaipur Airport depending on your placement
- Training: Pre-departure info pack, orientation including health and safety briefing
- Support: 24-hour support
- Transfers to the project
- Internet at your accommodation
- 2 yoga sessions
- 1 local cooking demonstration
- 1 henna painting session with sari dressing workshop
- 1 evening visit and dinner with a local host family
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Weekend excursions can be arranged for an extra cost:
Jaipur = Taj Mahal & Pushkar Camel Safari – £272 / $476
Goa = North Goa and South Goa – £200 / $350
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Be part of a team working to spread knowledge and education.
If you want to help a rural impoverished community while learning about the culture and the people of Cambodia, all that while making friends, this is a placement for you!
Volunteer as a family in Morocco and give back to your local hosting community through teaching women, children from impoverished areas or children with special needs.
Volunteer abroad on our specialised project and help to provide physical therapy to disabled children and young adults in Bolivia
Join our volunteering for 16 and 17 year olds in India and spend time with other young people developing global citizenship.
Volunteer in India and help with the provision of child care to disadvantaged children as well as participating in a range of exciting activities essential to Indian culture.
Our Experience India Tour encompasses charm, culture and care over 10 or 14 nights where you will be able to see the sights, learn about the real India and get a taste of volunteering.
The purpose of this project is to allow education centres to increase their resources via the help of volunteers.